Italian Partitive Article
Articolo Partitivo | (Partitive Article)
The partitive article is used to indicate a part of a whole or an indefinite quantity. In Italian it is composed by the simple preposition di + the definite article.
- Vorrei del vino – (I would like some wine)
- Vuoi dello zucchero nel tè? – (Would you like some sugar in the tea?)
- Ho comprato delle mele – (I have bought some apples)
SingularWhen using the singular form, the partitive article is normally replaced by un po’ di. This expression is predominantly used in informal situations.
- Vorrei del vino -> Vorrei un po’ di vino – (I would like a bit of wine)
- Vuoi dello zucchero nel tè? -> Vuoi un po’ di zucchero nel tè? – (Would you like a bit of sugar in the tea?)
- Ho comprato delle mele -> Ho comprato un po’ di mele – (I have bought a few apples)
PluralWhen using the plural form instead, the partitive article can be replaced by alcuni/alcune. This expression is predominantly used in formal situations.
- Dei giornalisti ti stanno cercando -> Alcuni giornalisti ti stanno cercando – (Some journalists are looking for you)
- Mario ha dei quadri interessanti -> Mario ha alcuni quadri interessanti – (Mario has some interesting paintings)
- C’erano delle squadre molto forti al torneo -> C’erano alcune squadre molto forti al torneo – (There were some very good teams at the tournament)
- Non ho alcuna notizia su Sara = Non ho nessuna notizia su Sara - (I have no news about Sara)
- Il museo ha qualche quadro di Picasso – (The museum has some paintings from Picasso)
Italian Online Newsletter
Don’t want to miss an update? Sign up to our newsletter and we’ll keep you updated on what’s happening.
Are you new to Italian Online?
If you are on your Italian learning journey and this is your first time here at Italian Online, why not discover all that we have to offer?
Your first Italian Short Story eBook is on us!
“Il Gatto con gli Stivali” full eBook with Vocabulary and Notes included